Thursday, October 23, 2008

Been there done that....time to move on

I totally agree with Jay Fields in that I too prefer jobs that allow me to learn new things. Exhibit A - My Career:

  1. Started working on as a analyst on a mainframe GL package
  2. Moved to PeopleSoft HR implementations (PeopleSoft HR was THE HR application at that time)
  3. From there moved on to BI/Reporting with Essbase (before Hyperion and Oracle)
  4. My next stop was an internet company building a custom Java based billing application (not sure why we didn't leverage the companies existing Oracle Financials for this but that is for a different post)
  5. When it came time to move on I went back to HR systems and then from there back to Finance applications....each time I focused on a different technology and functional area within the broader spectrum of Finance and HR
Some people might view this approach to my career as being a "jack of all trades, master of none" since I did not stick around long enough in any one of the areas to become a true expert in any one of the technologies or functional areas. I beg to differ. I believe that I gained two valuable things from this career track:

  1. A broad range of experiences and skills that I can draw on when moving into new areas
  2. The ability to learn new things quickly, figure out how much I need to learn in that area to be effective and then move on to the next thing I needed to learn
I also totally agree with Jay when he says:

Think of it as job security -- I shouldn't ever be out-of-date when it comes to technology experience. Think of it as an investment -- everything I learn creates a broader range of experience that I can leverage for future projects or jobs. Think of it as experimenting -- by trying many different solutions I may find ways to combine them and innovate.
I also think this type of career keeps it interesting. I can't imagine how unhappy I would be if I was still focusing on the same stuff I did at the start of my career. I've done that stuff, learned a lot and moved on. I've got that tool in my tool belt now and it's time to get some more tools. If I ever need to come back to that tool, sure it may need some honing but a hammer is still a hammer and I should be able to get the job done, even if the hammer is an old model.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At November 4, 2008 at 8:25 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Shashank here.
It's a bit of Wanderlust, and it is wonderful! I have always been uncomfortable with the idea of being too comfortable!
* I worked at a Y2K project for a Shipping Company for about six months - in MVS/COBOL/IMS ; I continued to support this app for the next year
* Moved over to a Healthcare company’s development project, building an interface between mainframes logistics (parts tracking) and Oracle Apps OE module(the very early version of apps in 2000) for about a year; learnt Oracle & UNIX on the job.
* Next, an Oracle & UNIX support & maintenance project - admin for logistics/ parts planning package; also worked as a part-DBA for this.
* Finally, I decided it was time for a radical change. Went to work at a major European Bank in Netherlands. Was part of the transition team that worked closely with Bank’s lower management to facilitate the KT. Worked on several prestigious projects like SEPA, etc. for the next two years. This was a strange mix of Java, mainframes.
* Joined the current Consultancy Firm as a contractor-manager, and trying to learn Ruby-on-Rails. I pitch in to small extents wherever I get Oracle-related opportunities.
- Shashank Sinha

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home